Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Who is this man?

Do you ever look at your mate/spouse and wonder who in the hell that person is? Well, I usually don't. While I by no means of the imagination know everything about Cody, or ever will, we know each other pretty darn well and can foresee a lot of what the other one does - at least to the point where the other's behavior is ever "shocking." Well, today I had two "shocks."
First - while I was in the bathroom changing out of my workout gear and into my going to Home Depot gear (which includes the first pair of pants I can find on the floor and a shirt that doesn't have too much cat hair on it) Cody came in and was looking in the mirror. He said "I think I'm going to take my earring out." Just like that - all simple, calm and matter of a fact. But back up a minute - this kid has had this earring in longer then I have known him. When we first met he actually had another earring and then I lent him one of mine that he lost so my grandma actually got him the earring that he has been wearing for 10 years now. I seriously don't even notice it at all anymore - I've never know Cody without the earring. People ask him all the time when he is going to take it out and he snarks back "when you stop asking me" or something equally "leave the hell alone" attitude. Which I adore - he's his own person and everyone should just leave him alone about whether he likes the earring or not. People asked if he would take it out for the wedding pictures and I hadn't even thought about it. Anyway, I thought the day he took it out would be this big event, but no, just like that he took it out, put it in the jar with all my earrings and said that he was going to try without it for a bit. I just stared blankly at him, like "WHAT? Are you kidding. That was it? Just like that?" My jaw dropped. He had just changed something that he had been holding onto as "his" in just a split second, just like that. I'm still a little floored.
Second - and this one is equally "shocking." Cody and I cannot make decisions. Everyone knows this. We cannot pick dates, where to eat, what movie to watch, what game to play, where to go on trips, etc. We typically procrastinate until the choice gets made for us - and usually that is just fine by us. This is why almost three years after buying our house, it is still not all the way painted- we could not pick a colour for our bedroom. First we wanted it a nice blue, but then I got over that. Then we were going to paint it generic tan like the rest of the house - plus we had that paint already. But then during the wedding planning process I really fell in love with the colour green. No clue why. I had never been particularly fond of green over any other colour - but all of a sudden I loved it. And I still really like it. So on a number of occasions we have looked at dozens of paint swatches and tried to find a perfect green. No success yet. So while we were at Home Depot buying our "greenhouse" supplies, we took a trip through the paint department to get some more paint for our hallway (Cody's parents are coming to visit - YEA - and people visiting always gets me moving off my butt to get things done - in a very good way). While we were waiting for the hallway paint (same tan as the rest of the house) we started looking at green. I kept saying "look at this one," "what about this one," "do you like this one." I never really expected us to actually pick a colour - after all we had done this dozens of times. I figured we look at a few, kill some time and maybe take some home to hold against the wall and then eventually throw away. So he looked them all over and then I showed him one and all of a sudden he said, "yeah, let's get that one." I was floored. "You're kidding? Just like that? Let's get this one?" Yup - just like that. A process that has been dragging on for three years now was over just like that. He just picked one. That was it. Since a decision had just been made and I would potentially have a painted bedroom shortly I was all about this - I grabbed the paint, we took it to the guy and ever so confidently said "we want this one." Just like that.

I am still sort of floored. He (and 'we' and 'me') never makes decisions like that. We're so insanely annoyingly overly cautious so many times. But, nope, not today. Just like that my husband has no earring and I have a bedroom paint colour. Just like that.

No comments: