Friday, May 09, 2008

I swear. . . .

Another one bites the dust. Yesterday I was sworn into the Illinois Bar. While I had every intention of practicing in Illinois when I signed up to take the Bar Examination (my firm and my boss does IL work), between signing up and taking the examination I got a new job (which has nothing to do with IL law) and at this point the chances of me doing anything in IL are none and zero. But I'd come that far so might as well get it while I can.
So yesterday Cody and I took off work early and drove to Collinsville, IL for a cute little swearing in ceremony. The ceremony was what you would expect. Two fairly well-known, though boring, speakers on their thoughts and ideas for our futures, a mass "I swear" oath and then we were presented our licenses in alphabetical order. The speakers mainly spoke to "new" attorneys right out of law school, a category I no longer fit into, so I felt mildly out of place, though I would guess most of these people were working in Missouri and Illinois and taking both bar exams. After the ceremony there was a little punch and snack reception but we left that early because the most wonderful husband in the world had put together a celebratory happy hour.
While I know Cody is proud of me and loves me, he's not always the most verbal of people with his accolades or affection. The good thing is that's 100% okay with me as I'm not overly needing in that regard. But yesterday he was like a proud little parent. He was just tickled pink and so proud that I was getting sworn in and just went on and on with how happy and proud he was. So he even got together this happy hour thing. We had a good turn out - got to hang out with a lot of friends and catch up. The only drawback - the 8 hours of drinking. We got there around 4:30 and left around 12:30 - making for an 8 hour "happy hour." Needless to say neither one of us are on the top of our game today. Hence, I'm blogging instead of doing more intellectually challenging activities - like the practice of law. We're old enough to know better but it's still fun to hang out and let loose every now and then and I certainly appreciate Cody's overwhelming pride in something I found somewhat trivial - it's cute.

No comments: