Friday, May 09, 2008

Prayers Please.

Okay, so I know not everyone does the whole prayer thing, but thoughts are appreciated too, as are good vibes, chants, incantations, potions or the sort.

My cousin was seriously injured this morning in a car versus bike accident. Unfortunately, he was the bike. As in bicycle, not motorcycle. Here are the news stories: WTXL, WCTV, Tallahassee Democrat.

So please keep his health and recovery, as well as my aunt in thoughts and prayers. As I sure you can tell by the photo, I'm sure they can use them.
As a small soap box as an aside, this whole getting the public involved in the news by allowing them to comment on news stories in insane. I was reading the comments to these stories (very very bad idea) and they were infuriating and the ignorance just brought tears to my eyes. One guy actually said: "Someone needs to get the drunk homeless people off the streets!!!! They are always hanging aroung lake ella and it's a pain trying to drive. They walk wherever they feel like!!! Why don't cops give them j-walking tickets?" WHAT THE HELL!??!? Are you f'ing kidding me?!?! He was NOT drunk, is NOT homeless (while his home right now is the ICU at Shands), and he was NOT walking - he was riding a bike! These people are just insanely ignorant, and mean and horrible. Everyone is all for the world being more "green" and encouraging us to drive less and bike more and then they make comments like this. Stupid.

5 comments:

mesa said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin. Yikes. I will say prayers.
As for those ignorant people. Yeah.. I've had some words with people that respond to a few articles on tdo.com they make me so MAD! I think they are afraid to say anything in public so they hide behind a computer and say it. Nice. Let's ignore them.

Jon said...

I had no idea that was your cousin. I haven't been able to do my usual blog reading for the past few days, and I didn't know that. Believe me, my thoughts are with your family.
As for the comments you're referring to, I agree. I hate that the internet has given every idiot a voice, and usually it's someone who doesn't need one. Opinion, of any kind, has absolutely no place in news reporting.

maxolasersquad said...

We've been discussing this at http://tallycat.org/?p=569
What this driver did is really infuriating. He will most definitely serve some time for his attempted hit-and-run and attempted man slaughter or third degree murder.
What male cousins do you have?

Anonymous said...

Hello
My name is Rusty, and I was one of the people who ran out to stop the truck. I cannot verify or refute any of the numerous claims about the drivers actions or intentions, but I do know he looked genuinely shocked when we ran out in front of him, and I never saw him on a cell phone. Regardless, it was a horrible event, and I hope Ricky is going to get better soon. Can you please post an update on his condition, or let me know how I can contact him. The whole think shook me (as I'm sure it did for everyone involved) and I would love to know how he is doing
thanks and many good vibes to Ricky!

Anonymous said...

Hi There! I have a shop at Lake Ella. I ride my bike to work two or three days out of the week. I wasn't at the shop when all this went down but I have tried to keep track as much as possible thru Joe's. I knew that he was at Shands but how is he doing now? I heard he had a crushed pelvis and lots of missing skin. Everyone over here is thinking about him - hoping that he will recover okay. I probably know him by sight. Please send our well wishes and tell him to hang in there! Any information you feel you can pass on would be appreciated. Thanks! Karen/Remember When...