Friday, May 02, 2008

Multi-tasking

As our lives continue to become busier year by year and we seem to have less and less time to do all the things we ¨need¨ and ¨want¨ to do, I think we have all found ways in which to multi-task our lives better. Cody and I are masters of the multi-task. Since we don´t see each other as much now that heś in school we have to find new times and ways to keep in touch - for instance, we both try to leave work at the same time so we can talk on the phone on our way home/to school (yes, the highway patrol is going to be mad about this - but weŕe good driving on the phone - but doesn´t every moron cell phone driver say that?) because we hate to use work time chatting when we have work to do. Then we try to run together a few times a week - while Cody hates to run, itś a way to get in exercise and catch up on the day´s/week´s events and thoughts at the same time. We also don´t watch TV in our house. So when we do it´s a multi-tasking event. For instance, I am insanely addicted to ¨Gray´s Anatomy.¨ In case you haven´t seen it: (1) don´t start because itś addicting and (2) it´s basically an evening soap opera. So if I plan to watch Gray´s Anatomy (Thursday´s at 8 pm - if you call me during this time I will NOT answer my phone), I plan to either work out during that time (during the show I bike and during commercials I do weights) or do ironing. This week since I had already ran on Thursday, I tackled the ironing. I realized something about ironing - I really really really really suck at it. My aunt can iron like a professional - she´s even been known to iron blue jeans! I, on the other hand, did not get that trait and it´s all I can do to not wrinkle a shirt more when I attempt to iron it. Anyone have any good tips/websites on how to learn how to iron. I don´t think my mom ever ironed so I never really learned and there is no class at the community college on ironing (I checked - but there is belly dancing, basket weaving, golf, yoga, drawing, etc. - just no ironing). So my multi-tasking this week was pretty much a failure. By the time the show was half over I had given up, thrown most of the clothes that needed to be ¨ironed¨ in the dryer to get the wrinkles out and spent the rest of the show mending clothes (buttons, eye hooks, seams, etc.) - that I CAN do!

p.s. I told my girlfriend how happy I was that we had found all these ways to multi-task and she just shook her head and remarked that I just had no ability to relax at all and I didn´t know what I was missing by not taking a day to sit on the couch and watch a nice TV show or just nap or something else ¨relaxing¨ - while I certainly do not fault her at all for that, I told her I thought she was missing out on doing other things by not making ¨better¨ (in my universe) use of her time. So, to each her own, I suppose.

No comments: