Monday, September 10, 2007

My Family

Wow this sure is a loaded topic. :) My family has changed and grown a lot over the past year. First, Cody and I were (finally) married. My family effectively doubled, though since I already have divorced parents, I already had 3 families (mom, dad, step-mom families) and Cody only had two, so I guess my family only grew by 2/3, instead of a whole 100%. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my in-laws. There is serioulsy not one of them I don't like - they are fabulous! They treat me just like I have always been family and are just fabulous. Our family continues to grow on his side - Cody's cousin just had twins and two more cousins are due with babies in the next few months!
In May the family grew again. David and Kim had another baby girl! They are two of the greatest parents I've ever seen. The now have three gorgeous girls (and I'm not just biased because they're my nieces - they are seriously gorgeous - super model gorgeous) and they love them more then you can imagine. Their patience is mind-boggling.
Then sometime in either June or July my mom got married. I'm not sure of the exact date because a) I wasn't told of the event until some time later, b) I wasn't invited and c) I haven't bothered to ask because I suppose if I'm not invited to a wedding I don't have to send a gift or anniversary card. To be fair, they didn't tell any of the family - not just me. I doubt I'll ever understand that but then again, it's not mine to understand. That was their choice and I've just got to deal. Anyway, I now have another step-family. I can't really comment on them because I haven't met them. I know I have two step-sisters but I don't really know much about them. I have met my step-father twice, but that's it there. So I guess my family grew again!
But then this weekend we had even more excitement! Our family grew again - but no babies or marriages. We actually found out we had another member we just didn't know about. You see, my grandma's sister, had a kid when she was younger (and unmarried). These days that's really no big deal at all. I bet we can all name at least five people who have gotten pregnant/had babies without being married or even keeping in touch the guy, but not back then. Back then it was not really heard of. Apparently the guy was in the military and as my grandma put it, when a guy got a girl "in trouble" (her words) his choices were to marry her or be transferred out of that base. Guess this dude didn't want either so he hurried up and married his long-term fiancee (real cool fella, huh?) and she gave the baby up - and then returned home as if nothing had happened. Again, these days that is pretty unheard of but back then it was just the way they did things - heck, they didn't even have internet! :) Anyway, no one in my family knew (except my great-grandma) and life went on. Well, at some point my grandma figured it out but never told anyone. Until this weekend.
On Saturday a lady and her friend showed up on my grandma's doorstep wanting to "investigate geneoglogy." Sucks for those two because my mom and grandma are geneology nuts - seriously. So they talked these ladies heads off about geneology when it finally came up that . . . (drum roll please) . . . the lady was my grandma's niece!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!! So they all yelled "Oh my God!" a lot and hugged and I'm sure some crying went on. Then they called my grandma's other niece (my "aunt" - in the south everyone older then you in an "aunt" or "uncle" and everyone your age is a "cousin" - so even though she's technically some kid of cousin, she's still my "aunt"), who found out she had a new half-sister that she never knew about - so of course she drove over and more hugging ensued. They then called my aunt's two brothers and let them on the "oh, by the way, I'm talking to your sister - nope, not that one - the one you never knew about - OH MY GOD! AHHH!" Then of course the entire family was called in turn and we all yelled "Ahhh.... OH my GOD!!" and thought how cool it is.
So, yup I have even more family then I ever knew!! How fun!!! The only sad thing is that she lives near Tampa (about four hours away) so they can't all hang out more and get to know each other. I think we might try to do a big family Thanksgiving so we can all hang out and meet our newest additions! Anyway, I think this is totally cool and find it so neat to find family we have never met! WELCOME NEW AUNT RITA!!!

2 comments:

maxolasersquad said...

WTF! Your mom got married?

missy said...

Yeah, that's the same exact thing I said. :)