Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Six Days. That's it.

We made it six days. That's it. I can't figure out if that's pathetic or a really good job. The jury is still out.
Cody and I made a pact on New Years to cut down on our drinking (while I love New Year's resolutions, Cody loathes them so that's why it was a "pact" not a resolution). It's not that we drink a ton - just often - and then often one drink turns into more. More then once we've said in the morning "damn I wish I hadn't had so many last night." So our goal was to cut down on that. While I thought "cut down" meant drink less, "cut down" to Cody means cut out. So while we had a few glasses of wine/beer on New Years Day (mostly to kill the hangover from New Year's Eve), after that we had no alcohol whatsoever for the next six days. I thought we could make it to seven but a friend's birthday party was last night and our resolve was not very strong.
It was much harder then I thought it would be. Yeah, yeah, just laugh - you try it for a whole week. Everyone thinks they can do it and laughs when I complain about it being hard but they haven't even tried. We just get in a habit - not necessarily a bad thing -of coming home and having a drink. I sincerely believe there is nothing wrong with coming home and having a glass of wine/bottle of beer - if it usually stays at A bottle or glass (not seven). The problem comes in when I have my drink before working out because then that kills my resolve to work out - running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike is a bit interesting after a glass or two of wine. Or when one turns into an entire bottle and we sit up all night joking and talking and playing with the cats, only to wake up at 7 am the next morning (three hours later) feeling like a truck ran us over. On the weekends that's not such a bit deal but when we have to work it sort of sucks.
So tonight we were back on our proverbial wagon. The good thing is we've both lost about five pounds each since returning from Florida. I can't say the reduction in alcohol is to be credited solely as we are eating a lot better and moving a lot more now that we're back in our normal routine.

1 comment:

maxolasersquad said...

My last drink was on Christmas eve. I probably had a half a glass of wine. Being in California and drinking wine straight from the vinyard it was made from was something I didn't want to pass.
My last drink before that was probably many months.
My point? I don't think I have one.