Monday, December 18, 2006

Cody's Stocking


So, tonight I was a little Susy Homemaker. I actually sewed - not hemming pants or fixing a shirt cuff, but actually sewing. When I was younger I used to sew a lot more - I could make an entire dress or something pretty complicated but I've been out of it for a while. Well, when we were in Florida for Thanksgiving I got my Grandma Flynn's old sewing machine from my mom (my folks are divorced, not sure how my mom ended up with my dad's mom's old sewing machine - I suppose my dad doesn't sew much :) ) because I had some things to mend and fix and I wanted to cover some pillows for our couches. But most importantly I wanted to make Cody and Erica (my brother Bo's girlfriend) Christmas stockings. My mom made Bo and I stockings when we were little kids - his was red, mine green and hers red and green. So I wanted to make Cody a green one to go with mine and Erica a red one to go with Bo's because they're both part of the family now. So Cody and I (yes, I actually dragged him to Joann fabrics - twice - poor boy) looked everywhere for similar fabric to make these insane stockings - no luck. My aunt actually ended up having some left over fabric that was identical to the stockings so she mailed it up for me (next day air - thanks Aunt Barbie!!). Unfortunately there wasn't enough red for Erica's (I'll have to find her some other fabric) but there was plenty of green for Cody's. So tonight I got out my sewing skills, polished them off and began the sewing of a Christmas stocking. It's a neat adventure, a cool production and a great story, but I think when I have kids we're going to buy them stockings. :) The picture is me at the sewing machine (I'm pretty confident it's older then I am).

No comments: