Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fall

Fall has officially arrived and is already on its way out the door here. Today was a fabulous fall day - too bad it only lasts 24 hours. Tonight we'll be getting in the storms, then the temperature drops and for our lovely Thanksgiving I think our high is something like 40 and our low is in the low 20s. There's even a chance of snow. Good-bye fall, hello winter. So before I get totally depressed about the impending doom (read: snow) and that winter is here I thought I'd get in a few fall photos.

This is our house - complete with fall colours. Note that most of those colours are on the ground because (1) the leaves all die and fall off the trees here and (2) we haven't raked in weeks. Some might wonder why we don't rake - for heaven's sake you can't even tell where the sidewalk is and you can't tell the walkway apart from the grass. Ahhh.. but let's pretend we did rake this evening and it looked all nice and dandy - for five minutes - because in five more minutes it would look like this again. So we don't rake until all the leaves are gone (or when it's going to rain/snow because then the leaves get mushy and icy and you slip and break body parts on them). Sort of the same logic explains why we never ever make our bed or barely put clothes up when they sit around in laundry baskets for weeks. :)
Anyway, not that you can tell it, but the porch and deck are newly painted. Cody and I literally had to climb a ridiculously large ladder to get to the top white part around the deck (not the siding on top - we don't touch that - except when Cody's dad is here and I'm at work and they talk each other into fixing the siding way up there and then I only here about it later, too late to yell that they could have killed themselves and should have hired someone to do that). The mailbox (the black thing to the right of our door) is also new, as are the house numbers (to the left of the door). Yeah for us for finally finishing a project. You can't really see all the plants I have hanging/sitting on the porch but today was the last day they'll be outside - inside they come lest they freeze and die.
Oh, and yes, I do know our house looks like a barn. It's part of its 108 year old charm. :)

Posted by Picasa

Another vestige of fall - sunset - while I'm still at work. This is the view if you look out one of my windows at work. It would be a fabulous sunset, but for the civil courthouse (the dome top building) in the way. :) Anyway, every day I watch this incredible sunset from my desk - at about 4-4:30pm. Pretty, yet depressing. So today I thought I would bring a camera and capture it. Not the best of sunsets today but still not bad. I would enjoy them better - except they come at 4:30 and I'm still at work. Did I mention yet that I'm still at work when the sun sets? Because I am and it's not cool. Not cool at all. When will Daylight Savings Time return??? (rhetorical question - I know the exact date and minute we get it back). Hope everyone is enjoying their fall!!!

No comments: