Monday, November 19, 2007

We figured it out!

One of the downfalls to living in a city without family is that when things go wrong you have to figure it out yourself. Like when my car broke - except for almost a year we didn't figure it out ourselves (not for lack of trying though) and it didn't get fixed until Cody's dad rescued us and fixed it. But other things we've managed to figure out - like when we lost power last year and when other random things break. Friday was one of those days.
When we got home, dead tired and exhausted, we turned the thermostat up to heat the house up (it goes down automatically during the day). Except there was no air coming out of the vents. We wandered to the basement and heard the big boxy thing making noise (which I am told is our furnace - for reference and those that live down south - we have gas furnaces here, not electric). "Oh freck" we thought - "please, oh please, God, PLEASE don't let our furnace be broken." So Cody takes off the cover thing and starts looking around for something to light thinking the pilot light went out. I, on the other hand, search Big Boxy Thing for some sort of instructions. Finally I find them and sure enough number 1 on the list is "Don't try to light this thing - it has an electric pilot light." Sure enough there were step by step instructions on what to do when the thing won't work correctly. Basically it's akin to turning your computer off and then on again hoping that this simple manueveur will fix the problem (which, strangely, it usually does). So I insist, since there is gas involved and I am insanely scared of gas, that we do every step exactly as it is listed in the exact order it is listed. So we turn down the thermostat, off the boxy thing, turn off the power to the house (well, we only had to turn it off to the boxy thing but since we weren't 100% positive which fuse was the furnace I insisted the entire house be turned off), wait five minutes, smell for smoke, then power back on and furnace back on and turn the thermostat back up - MAGIC - it worked. I cannot even tell you how happy I was that this stupid little procedure worked. Because it was COLD and it was Friday and I don't even know where to begin if something were to happen to our heating system.
So yes, score one more point for us in house lessons learned. Because I'm telling you, had we lived within 50 miles of family, I would have packed myself up, driven to their house, and waited for someone else to fix it. :)

1 comment:

maxolasersquad said...

I've had a pilot light blow up in my face three times. Once you get over the adrenline that is immiedately pumped to your veins and the burnt hair smell that lasts for three days no matter how many times you shower, it's not that bad.