Thursday, November 15, 2007

Married Life.

Two little notes on married life.
First, reason #764 I love Husband (way back in the dark ages when dinosaurs still wandered the earth and Cody and I first started dating, I was so tickled the first time he called me his girlfriend that I started calling him Boyfriend - like "Hi Boyfriend, how was your day?" - now that we're married I joke and just call him Husband, like a proper name - it's funnier in real life then when I write about it): When I took his car to get the oil changed yesterday (because I am THAT nice of a wife - he has been insanely busy with school yet insanely antsy about getting his darn oil changed so I traded cars with him yesterday while he went to a school group meeting so I could get the oil changed for him - major Bonus Wife Points!), I turned on the radio and it was on NPR! Yet another reason I married him! I think I used to like radio - back when they played good music - but I can't remember what that was really like so I listen to NPR. I LOVE NPR! So one day Cody and I were talking and I said something like "I heard XYZ on NPR" and he said "Yeah, I heard that one too - add interesting tid bit here." I was more then impressed but wasn't 100% convinced he was a convert - until I got in his car and it was on the radio. Now that's compatibility. :) So now we regularly talk about what's on the news and can talk intelligently rather then about some retarded morning radio moron story about that guy who married a pig or something (yes, I really really hate morning radio).

Second, not very interesting but still a "moment" moment. I went to pick up my dry cleaning today and didn't have my ticket (for those of you who use dry cleaners, you know this the mortal sin of dry cleaning - if you don't have your ticket they will take all other 20 people in line before you - good thing I was the only one in there - but they still huffed and puffed) so they asked for my name - I said "Flynn." So they looked and looked. "Are you sure you brought it in on Saturday?" they asked. I thought "Yup, I brought it in while my passed out husband slept because he played poker until 7:30 am the night/morning before." Finally it hit me - "Can you look under Raffensperger?" Sure enough it was right there. I'm slowly but surely changing things - credit cards, bank statements, Zoo memberships, magazine subscriptions, pharmacies, doctor's offices, the grocery store wine club, newsletters, etc. (never knew your name was on SO much stuff until you get married) - but I'm still getting used to it. I had just assumed I used the shorter one to turn in my dry cleaning, but I'm really making an effort to make the change - even if I have to spell it literally 30 times before they can get it right. Speaking of that - if you ever get your oil changed at Wal-Mart just tell them your last name is "M" - anything longer then that, especially 13 letters, and you'll likely be there for 20 minutes while they try to get your name in the computer - NOT KIDDING.

It's the fun little things that make marriage fun.

2 comments:

maxolasersquad said...

On top of calling him husband, another fun thing is to make absolutely ridiculous pet names. "Good morning, googly puff." or "Welcome home stinky"

Kim and I discuss stuff we hear on NPR all the time. Many time it ends with, "Yeah, I heard that one too." Ever since the oldies station went off the air I just can't find any other station worth listening to. I have also started podcasting some NPR shows that I listen to on my laptop because my truck does not have a radio.

missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.