Sunday, November 20, 2005

Happiest Day of My Life - Thus Far


It's been over 24 hours since the happiest moment of my life but I've held off writing because I just couldn't figure out how to put the enormity of my emotions into words. I've since realized there is no way to express the occassion in mere words, but here's a shot.
Well, yesterday it was actually over 50 degrees (a small miracle these days), so Cody and I being the outdoor souls we are, decided to ride our bikes over to Forest Park (a huge park - 3 times Central Park - across the interstate from our city home) and hang out. Of course, I had two shirts, a hoody, and gloves on while riding the bike, but it was a nice ride (my ear muffs were in my backpack just in case). We had never been paddleboating at the Boat House so we decided to check it out. We paid our $15, got in our paddleboat and paddled our way around this intricite lake system they've made in the middle of the park. It was a beautiful sunny day with just a bit of chilly wind to remind you that it was November, but all in all a great day to be out on the lake. I, being the camera freak I am, took a million pictures of the cute bridges and the views from the lake of the Art Museum and we just had a great time laughing and hanging out. Well, on our way back to the Boat House, Cody leaned over and said "I have a question to ask you" while he was reaching in his pocket. At first I thought he was just teasing me and was going to ask me to pass the water bottle or something, but when I realized he was serious I freaked out! I was crying and screaming and saying "Oh my God" over and over again (probably at least 100 times). So he asked me if I would marry him and at first I said I would have to check with Mr. Pickles (aka Nala the cat) to tease him but did finally say yes. My hands were shaking so bad it took me a good five minutes to just put on the ring. It was gorgeous - I couldn't stop looking at it. Poor Cody had to paddle all the way back to the Boat House by himself because my legs felt like jello. Once we got out of the boats I about fell down and had to go sit down so I could catch my breath - I was so overwhelmed - I never thought I would be that emotional about the whole thing but I guess I was. The rest of the day was sort of a blur - riding the bikes home (my legs barely made it home I was still shaking), calling family, eating lunch at Subway (one of our faves), and going out with friends to McGurk's to celebrate.
Wow - I'm still so overwhelmed. I keep looking at my hand and can still barely believe it. I'm still trying to soak everything in - Cody's doing much better then me since I guess he had the whole thing planned and thought out. :) I'm including one of the pictures he took after I got the ring when I was freaking out. The rest are on the website. I can't wait to get to Tally next week to show my family and spread the good news! There is no way I'm going to be able to concentrate at work tomorrow - that's a given. :) It really was the most perfect engagement for the two of us - it incorporated so much about us into the whole thing - outside, on the water, fun, relaxed and laid back - it seemed so perfectly Cody and I.

5 comments:

missy said...

Huh? I'm confused - maybe I'm just sleepy. Nine years? 2013? Maybe I'm just slow today after not sleeping.

Jon said...

Congrats! Welcome (almost) to the land of the married. To think, you can actually thank Lincoln and Bruno's now.

missy said...

Thanks Jon! Yeah, it's about all I have to thank Lincoln and Bruno's for. :) Now I just have to get off my cloud 9 long enough to actually plan a wedding one day.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's about damn time huh? Congratulations to you guys. We are all so happy for you both. I am exicited to have an "official" sister, even though you've been a part of the family for a long long time already. You guys are perfect for each other. Yay! We can't wait to see you and that beautiful rock! I loved the pictures. See ya tomorrow - Sara

Anonymous said...

Please don't mention 2013, we all know how Cody is about the number 13! We are so happy for the two of you, and even though you already feel like part of the family Missy, it's great to have it official! Can't wait until you guys get home so we can celebrate! Love ya both!