Friday, April 14, 2006

Crazy Person

I think wedding planning makes people crazy. At least it does me. Why can't these things be simple? I have a few comments to illustrate.
First our biggest dilema - the element of ourselves. We want a casual, laid back, fun wedding. Did you get the "laid back" part of that? Because every wedding place in Tallahassee wants to put us in this little box of "semi-formal" - not terribly ritzy but not what we really want either. I'm not a ritzy, fancy, froo froo person - neither is Cody - for God's sake his favorite outfit include an obnoxiously large red animal print pimp-looking hat and velcro shoes! It's literally painful for me to "dress up" for work - I can't wait to get in jeans and a t-shirt. I have no desire to be a "princess" or any of that stuff. Some people love it - but it's not me. I don't want a "semi-formal" wedding - I want our wedding our way but Tallahassee insists on fitting you in this box - the reception places do it, the caterers do it. I don't want an elaborate layout of shrimp and something else I can't prononce - I just want some food that tastes decent. I have a perfect rehersal dinner planned - Sonny's outside (in either a park or backyard), paper plates, a big Moon Walk thing for the kids, a keg and a good time. For the day after since it will be Easter, I would like to do an Easter Brunch in my mom's backyard. But it's the wedding part that's driving me crazy. Agg...
Second, I don't see why everything is (a) so expensive and (b) there are so many hidden charges. One caterer I talked to even charges for salt and pepper shakers. They're like little varmits picking at you everywhere and before you know it a $15 meal is $22 with linens and plates, etc.
Okay, enough of that. Off my soap box. I promise to write more happy stuff about how life is good, rather then about my utter frustrations with the wedding industry! :)

No comments: