Monday, May 15, 2006

She shoots . . . . she scores!

Well, not really. But I did shoot. Well, almost at least. To get to the point - I played both my first and second games of soccer this weekend!
Cody has been playing soccer since he was a little kid. He was on the State Championship team in highschool. Since moving to St. Louis he has played both indoor and outdoor. Cody knows soccer and he's good at it. I don't even know the rules of soccer (though I do plan to learn them before going to Germany to watch The World Cup - I thought it would be useful)! Well this winter/spring he was in charge of setting up the indoor team in Brentwood. Part of this includes having enough people at each game and since they play co-ed, he needs at least three guys and three girls at each game (more is ideal so they at least have a few subs). Well, this past Sunday was their play-off game and they were a girl short, so rather then either forfeit or play with only 5 players the entire game, I filled in. It was awesome fun and I certainly have a newfound respect for soccer (even if I did totally suck at it). I always figured it wasn't that hard because when I run, I run for about an hour or hour and a half and when Cody plays soccer usually they have subs so he hardly ever runs for over 10 minutes at a time. Boy was I wrong! Soccer is hard! And that doesn't even count the kicking the ball part!! The running is so much! You sprint up the field to be an extra man on offense (not that I was any use on offense since I seriously have no idea how to kick the ball) and then the ball gets turned over to the other team and all of a sudden you sprint down to the other goal to block your man and then all over again - up and down the field, back and forth. And since it's indoor and there are walls, no one can kick the ball off the field to give you even a 5 second break - just run back and forth and back and forth. Anyway, it was crazy fun but I am just too bad to possibly plan seriously. I'm going to try to get Cody and Marissa to teach me how to play and then maybe take a baby soccer for adults class and then maybe I can play on a baby team next year. But we'll have to see. In an event, I had a great time in my first two soccer games!
p.s. The reason there were two games was that we played our game and then the team that played after us didn't have enough players so we played for them. One game of soccer is hard, two in a row makes your legs hurt like hell the next day. :) Good fun though.

No comments: