Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Brrrrrr....

Where in God's Green Earth did summer go? Just yesterday I swear it was here and then I wake up this morning and it's forty-something outside and the high is 60! What is going on here? I guess winter has finally reared its ugly head and we are now going to just go steadly down until we hit two weeks of the highs in the 20s. We're quickly running out of time to wrap up all of those half finished outdoor projects - finishing the backyard fence, finishing painting the front porch, harvesting the last of the vegetables and putting in the fall ones (garlic, green onion), and mulching everything until spring. Unfortunately the one good thing about the cold weather skipped us this year - the leaves changing. Usually we get a spectacular display of reds, yellows, oranges and purples this time of year but apparently there was a late freeze, not enough summer rain, and too many late warm nights so the leaves are expected to just turn brown and fall off. Shucks.
The first snow is always fun - its come on November 30th three years in a row now - we'll see how that holds up this year. Every snow after the first sucks.
I'm lovin' the late change from Daylight Savings Time. I'm still not really sure why we ever go OFF Daylight Savings Time. It's a fantastic institution and I hate to see it go (though loving the few extra weeks we get from now on). Right now our sun is setting around 6pm - that means as of Nov. 4th it will be setting around 5pm - that's just sad. It's depressing to watch the sun set while you're still at work. I want to walk home in the sunshine and have a little bit left to run in (assuming I could run which I still can't - have ANOTHER doctor appointment for this on Friday) when I get home. But I walk to the garage in the dark, only to be sad and depressed when I'm home in the dark with no light to speak of. I guess I still have spring to look forward to. :) And Christmas - I love Christmas. :)

No comments: