Sunday, October 21, 2007

Too Old For This.

I used to think that life was boring if we didn't go out at least twice every weekend. What good was life if not for being fun? The word "bored" never crossed our lips. To be insanely and sickenly cliche, we worked hard and played harder. We used to think that anyone who sat at home for the weekend was just boring and old.
I guess I'm getting boring and old then. This weekend was a typical weekend for us for so many years - Friday night it was work happy hours, then party at a bar for friends moving to Chicago (the longer we live here the more friends move away). I drank a lot of wheat beer, which I absolutely love but it makes my sinuses hurt like crazy the next day. We somehow drank $89 worth of beer on Friday night and the only food on that tab was some $3 pretzels - either we drank too much or the beers were too expensive. So we drank probably too much, got home late and had to wake up decently early on Saturday (decently early means before noon). Saturday we stumbled out of bed, found some food and had to hit up Target for laundry sundries - I was all out of soap - regular soap, dark clothes soap and my favorite, Clorox 2 (I can thank my aunt for turning me onto Clorox 2). Then it was time to jump back on the wagon and head to Ozzie's for the Gator game - and more drinkin'. The Gators finally won a game, though at times it looked like they were trying to lose. The worse the Gators play the more we drink.
Then it was back home to put together some costumes for a Halloween party. I was . . . . drum roll please. . . . a pumpkin (the same costume I've used for 10 years). Cody was a _____ Leprachan. Fill in the blank - drunk, green, funny, silly, unlucky - pick any descriptor for "Leprachan" and that's what he was. So we went to the party, stayed out too late (though there used to never be a "too late"), probably drank more then we should and found our way home. Then we got out of bed at 4:30 p.m. this afternoon - not kidding. We woke up around noon, ate something for a few minutes and then went back to bed.
So, what did we really accomplish this weekend? The answer - not much of anything except a lot of beers and some wicked hang-overs. So as we went on our walk this evening, we really discovered that we're getting too old for this. I can't "hang" like I used to - I do not do well with no sleep and lots of beers for days in a row. For the first time (and this is probably the hang-over talking) I almost thought that having kids and hanging out at home this weekend would have been nice. I used to dread the thought of kids because they would inhibit weekends like this - now I think that might not be such a bad idea sometimes. I can see how people eventually grow out of the all-weekend parties. I don't think we'll ever grow out of it completly - we're both pretty social people - but I can see why the all night Friday, and all day and night Saturday stuff can begin to wear on you. We used to bounce back so much easier. Now it seems that I need more and more sleep and rest to bounce back. God, this getting older thing is really really complicated. On one hand you resist it like crazy because you don't want to get "old" and "uncool" and on the other you just get too damn tired to resist it anymore. So now we've had a day of sleep, the grocery store and laundry. You would think this incredibly boring, but it's been actually nice. :)

1 comment:

mesa said...

it's so weird how your priorities change when the time is right. things you never thought would be important you can't see living without. :)