Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I'm a dumb geek.

I was in math club in high school. And Latin club. And if I thought hard enough I could probably think of some other embarrassingly geeky thing. But with all that geek, I could at least claim I was somewhat not-so-stupid. Not so anymore.
As a family of relative geeks, we get a catalog from Think Geek. If you've never checked out their website and you're remotely smart/geeky, then it's worth a few minutes - pretty funny/cool stuff. Anyway, as I was flipping through the catalog there were quite a few of the things I didn't "get." Again, boy has technology passed me by. I was one of the first people in Tallahassee to have an email address - mflynn@tfn.net. But don't try to email me there because I don't remember the password and I believe tfn (Tallahassee Free-Net) has since gone under and no longer exists. Back then I was all on top of this emerging World Wide Web thing - I thought it was great. And then it just passed me by - along with anything past Windows 3.1 (once we got Windows my brother ceased allowing me anywhere near the computer anymore as he was on it 24/7 - if only I was bigger then him and could beat him up and make him let me use it then I would have learned more and I would be the computer genius and he would be the disenfranchised corporate sell-out).
Anyway, I'm not even a good geek anymore. For instance I had to ask Cody, who apparently was bigger then his sister and didn't let her play on it while he sat learning crazy computer things all day, what the t-shirt that says "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" means - apparently the number thingy is the "home" thingy for your computer - he explained it but I already forgot. There are several others I didn't "get" but I won't embarass myself anymore by going into those.
For the record: I was NOT in the chess club (I suck at chess - Cody has beat me in less then 10 moves every time we have played when he was not drunk) or the band. :)

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm actually more of a geek now than I was in high school. I've balanced it out with some "crazy artist" here and there, but it's still "geek".