Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Missing the Florida

Sometimes I miss Florida. While we no longer refer to Florida as "home" (Missouri has taken over that role since we've bought a house and lived here over three years), it's still "home" in a different way. Today an old friend, her husband, their adorable kid (who calls Cody and I "MisthyCody" like we're one word) and her parents (who I've known since I was two years old) stopped by to say hi. It was a short visit but it was still wonderful to see them. And it made me miss all the other people we're missing in Florida. Even though they left a while ago and were only here a week, there is still a feeling of emptiness since my Bonus Parents left - I keep thinking of things to go downstairs and tell them and they're not there anymore. One of our nieces turned six on Friday (which because I am a horrible horrible aunt I STILL haven't mailed her birthday card) and all I could think about all day was the party I'm sure she was having and us missing it. It's the same way when her sister was born - her sister is almost six months old and we've yet to meet her - she was just a little bitty thing back then and I'm sure she's already sitting up, crawling and eating real food by now. We've got two more nieces and a nephew that we miss birthdays, holidays (Halloween I especially miss their adorable costumes) and other random family gatherings. I guess it's actually the kids growing up that I miss the most. I was really really close with my extended family growing up and I hate that we're not there for them the way my aunts and uncle where there for me. Maybe one of these days we'll be closer and can drive over for the birthday parties and events. I can't wait until they can all read and write and we can send postcards and letters back and forth. When I was little I had an aunt in California and I will always remember writing back and forth with her so when she did visit it seemed like there was no time lost. I hope to at least have that with them - assuming they're willing of course (and if they're not I'll just chase them around until they are). :)
Hopefully we'll figure out this whole holiday thing here soon and we can start looking forward to seeing everyone.
p.s. I miss the grown-ups too but their just not half as cute as those kids. :)

2 comments:

Jon said...

Missing my niece Anna growing up was one reason I moved back to Tally.
Remember, this town has a way of sucking you back in.

maxolasersquad said...

You can see pictures of Aurora's birthday party at http://picasaweb.google.com/maxolasersquad/Aurora6YearsOld
I saw your mom today at Publix. She helped us roll one of our two carts to the van.
Did I menion the weather here has been rockin' all week long.