Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Car-less

Boy do I feel "American." For two weeks in Europe this summer and then an entire summer a few years ago, I survived with no car. I managed to travel all sorts of places, big and small with no vehicle. Tons of people over there have no car and they live perfectly good lives. But here I go now with a few days without my car and it's as if the world is falling apart around me. :) This morning Cody gave me a ride to work since he woke up early (usually he wakes up as I leave the house) and I got a ride home from Mike. But just the thought of not being able to leave whenever is weird (even though I could go home at anytime and take the train). Plus, I've got shopping to do - grocery store, Target, etc. - and that's really hard with only one car in the family - not to mention Cody didn't get home from work until 9.30pm. Oh well. Just a few more days and I'll have my "freedom" again. By the way, I hate the hyjacking of the word "freedom." Just a note.
On another note, ran 10 miles tonight and feel just dandy about it. I'm super excited about the 1/2 marathon on the 17th and even more excited about the marathon in a few months. The person who actually inspired me to run the marathon, my lawschool friend Kari, actually just had her first baby this past weekend. She emailed pictures and the baby is just precious! Really really really adorable! She and her husband will make awesome parents. She is one of those people you really admire in the world - really down to earth and real and just really has their head on straight. There's a girl at work who is like that too - super smart and well spoken, yet funny and interesting all at the same time. Where I tend ("tend" may not be a strong enough word here) to babble and just spit out the first thing to come to my head, these people really have insightful thoughts and are so very intelligent and interesting. I'm lucky to have met a lot of the people I have in my life.

No comments: