Monday, October 09, 2006

In a funk.

There are some days when you're just in a funk. Today is one of those. First, I'm horrible at good-byes. Cody's parents left this morning and I managed to hold it together just long enough for us to wave them good-bye. Then I just broke down. As Cody closed the door, I just cried and cried and went on and on. Going on and on about how it's so hard to live so far away from family. And it's not fair that everyone in St. Louis (okay, I was exagerating here) lives near their family (because most of them never move away). And why do we "have" to live so far away (knowing all the while that living far away is just as much my decision as Cody's). And on and on. All day I was just bummed. I know that sounds dumb, especially since they're my in-laws and most people jump for joy to get rid of their in-laws, but I have REALLY great in-laws. And we had a REALLY great time with them. Even walking around the house this evening with Cody at work seemed lonely since they weren't here. I wanted to walk into our spare room and see them there. I wanted to sit and drink wine with his dad and beer with Cody and his mom. I wanted to just chat some more and pick their brains some more. I can't even explain how smart these people are! And how "together" they are - they're just so pragmatic and give such great advise. They are able to just put so much into perspective in such a non-assuming way. For instance, we were talking about us living far away from family and I how I sometimes felt guilty for not living closer and helping out more with the family and they just casually explained that Cody and I will be each other's families soon and that has to be a top priority. There's something about the way they said that that just made sense and made me feel better. There's no on thing I can ever put my finger on and no particular specific quality that's so great, they're just all round good people. And now I miss them.
So today's kind of been a funky day. I pouted and whined to Cody all day and he, like the great guy he is, has come to be patient with me on days like this - especially when it's good-bye days. I know he's got to be missing them too, but he manages to just put that aside and deal with my much more emotional, outward display of missing them. What a guy!

No comments: