Monday, October 09, 2006

"Safety Violation"

This past weekend we went up to Wisconsin to see some of Cody's family - most importantly, Grandma Raffensperger (aka Grandma Raff) - though she is actually Cody's GREAT-Grandma (making her Baylee and Brandon's GREAT-GREAT-Grandma). She is 97 years young and is such a great woman. The last time I saw her was the family reunion in 2000 and she seems just as good now as she did then. She has more family then most of us can ever imagine and they all care about her more then I can explain.
Well, other then our guest of honor, we also got to visit with Sara, Larry and Baylee and Brandon this weekend, which was simply wonderful! Brandon is one now and walking around like mad. He walks sort of like a drunk person and just will run into anything in his path. This kid seems fearless. And boy does he love to walk. Walk walk walk. No holding or sitting or stopping - just walking. He's adorable though - I can't wait to see how much he changes in the next few months over the holidays. And then there's Baylee. This little girl is smart as a whip and cute as a button. She's really amazing. And she is actually the subject of my story.
So, on Saturday afternoon we were heading to Trish and Joe's for a gathering/BBQ. Since Brandon was sleeping we took Baylee while Sara and Larry waited for him to wake up from his nap. We put her car seat in the middle seat in the back of the Cruiser between Donna and I. Well, about 15 minutes into the trip, she looks at me and says, "Missy, your knob is up." I was terribly confused and said, "My what is what?" Well, she pointed to more door lock and said "That's a safety violation." Sure enough I had no locked my car door and the door lock (aka "my knob") was up. And Baylee was observant enough to issue me a "Safety Violation." I felt like I should write my name on the board or get a sticker taken away. :) So we joked about that for a while until we got to Trish and Joe's.
We were having a great time at their house, playing with the kids, catching up with everyone, when Baylee walks right up to Joe (who had just finished smoking a cigarette) and says, "That's a safety violation. You're going to die." Everyone CRACKED UP! It was hillarious. At least my Safety Violation wasn't accompanied with a "You're going to die." :)

No comments: