Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Quick Update

So it's been a while since I wrote about what's been going on so here's a quick update:
Memorial Day weekend: We went to Wisconsin for Cody's cousin's wedding.
But first we bought fish. Friday night Cody, Dude and I were all hanging out - we do that often now that Dude lives with us (until he can move into his apartment) and I really wanted to get fish for my big tank (the big mean fish finally died so I cleaned the whole tank out and was going to start over). So we took a field trip to Petsmart - everyone picked a fish - or two - sort of. Dude picked the uglist catfish I've ever seen -then the fish dude said they are "schooling" fish and need to be in at least a pair - so we got two of the uglist fish I've ever seen. Cody got the biggest ugliest snail he could fine. Sounds like a great tank, huh? To balance out their ugly selections, I got two platys and two guppies - so far they all seem pretty happy - one of the platys has already had babies - but all but two of them were eaten. :(
Saturday we woke up bright and early (as in 3am) and drove to Wisconsin - land of cheese and cows. Yes, I did see lots of cows - and some cheese. We picked Cody's folks up from the airport as they had flown in from Florida. Then we went to the Children's Hospital to visit the cutest little (and I mean little) twins you've ever seen. Kennedy and Preston are so cute - but still so little - though Preston is getting big and has already hit 5 lbs. They can go home as soon as they can suck, swallow and breathe at the same time - I can barely talk and walk at the same time so good luck to them.
After the hospital we drove to the middle of nowhere (literally) to Uncle Bob's house. Uncle Bob is awesome and I used to really like him until he tried to convince Cody to purchase a pig smoker - yes, it is a grill/smoker that is built to look like a HUGE PINK PIG - the steam actually comes out of this "pig's" snout. Apparently it was on sale and Uncle Bob was trying to convince Cody who tried to convince me to buy it - I, as the sane and sensible wife, had to put my foot down and say no. But Cody's mom really loves pigs so she'd better watch out! We had a great time grilling at Uncle Bob's with family - got to play with Alexius and Jabob - two really cool kids. Then it was back to the hotel to crash.
Sunday we hung around and then went to Matt and Jessica's wedding. Funny thing about it being Matt and Jessisca's wedding because my friend since middle school, Jessica, was also marrying a Matt - on the same day! Even funnier is that we got both of their invitiations on the same day - so we got two invitations on the same day, both for a wedding of a Matt and a Jessica - creapy. I really wish we could have gone to both but one was (1) family and (2) closer so we had to do that one. It was a great time and got to see a lot of the family we don't see often - weddings up north are always so much more fun then those down south.
Monday - we drove back to STL and cleaned.
The next week we spent a lot of time on bikes - Tuesday we all rode bikes up to the History Museum in Forest Park, took a picnic, listened to the band playing outside and played Frisbee - it was one of those just really cool days (except I landed on my knee wrong in frisbee and it's hurt since - messes up my running!). We also started my grand deck/porch project. You see, our neighbors were always the crummy ones on the block - making us look good. And then they redid their porch and front yard - so now we look like the crummy ones. So we have taken on a task to do the whole "Curb Appeal" thing - I know about "Curb Appeal" because I have internet, not cable -- because I have never actually seen the show. Anyway, so I spent last week bleaching the deck (to get mold, mildew, etc. off) and then brightening it. Then over the weekend we continued that project and ended up building new stairs. The old stairs were very crummy looking so I decided it would just be easier to rip them off and build new ones - when I mentioned this to Cody I got a look of "Are you kidding me, Woman?" But as the wonderful husband he is, he stayed home ripping off wood while I went to Home Depot, bought new wood and then cut it to size. The new stairs rock, they don't get slippery in the rain, and they don't wobble. So now we only have to wait until we have three days with no rain and I can paint the porch part a new white and stain the deck a pretty wood colour. Yipee for home improvement and no more wedding planning!!!
So that's about it - I'm in the process of cleaning the house tonight because my mom comes to visit on Friday and while it was raining on Saturday I decided it would be a good idea to finish painting all the trim downstairs (two projects is always better then one, right?). So now there is painting stuff EVERYWHERE - though the trim totally looks better - not that she'll notice because I doubt (hopefully) she'll remember how bad it looked before I spent all this time painting it.

No comments: