Monday, August 27, 2007

Amazing.

Some things in this world are simply amazing. Cell phones for instance. I love them (yes, I see how they can be annoying but I could not live without my phone - not to mention we don't even have a home phone). 20 years ago I don't know how anyone ever planned anything with over 2 people - or ever got together for last minute things. Say I'm out shopping, doing errands, etc. and someone just got free tickets to a Cardinals game - without cell phones I would have wasted my day at the grocery store but with cell phones I can get my apples, run home and change and be at the game in 20 minutes.
The internet is another. How did people EVER plan vacations? I wouldn't even know how to get a hotel without the internet. Or how to get from here to say, Memphis? I would have to get a map somewhere and figure it out - and if you're traveling over a few states you'd better get a whole US map and spend some time figuring out your route - now you don't have to - shortest route? fastest route? Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest - they have you covered! Then there's the what to do when you get to Memphis? How did you find that out - the library? Order a Memphis visitors guide (and then how do you get the phone number to the Memphis Visitors Center? The phone book in Memphis? 411?)? Ask around? What about that cool little restrant that just opened on the corner - no chance in hell you'd ever hear about that without the internet.
So today Cody sent me an article on a new invention - Dry Erase Paint!! First, let me say we are obsessed with Dry Erase things - we have a dry erase board in nearly every room in our house - one has our finances on it (so we can keep close track of all that debt we're paying off by the time we're 84), one has our "house to do" list, another has our "summer to do" or "fun things to do" lists and another has our grocery, wal-mart, home depot, etc. shopping lists. I love them - they keep us sane. Anyway, now you can paint any surface (practically) you want and make it dry erase! Wood - walls - dry wall - anything! If you had kids it would be AWESOME! You do dry erase on the bottom of the walls (4 feet and down) then put a chair rail and paint the top half a kid room color - then only let dry erase markers in the room (no Sharpies - no house with kids should have Sharpies anyway) and let them go to town! How fun! So I'm sitting here debating all the things I could do with Dry Erase
paint!! :)

Other inventions I'm thankful for:
1. Running water. I currently have 7.5 litters of water bottles in my office - without running (clean) water that would be a lot of money per day spent on something like water (now I can spend my $7 a day on other random useless crap).
2. MP3 players. I have two (both cheap - nothing fancy). My old one (the speaker plug thing has to be twisted to work right so I can't run with it) is at work and I run with the other one. Forget dragging hundreds of CDs with you everywhere - and then stepping on them, sitting on them, scratching them, etc. - for someone like me who isn't great about taking care of toys, CDs were never good - plus portable CD players never got really good enough to run with (and they were heavy). So, lovin' the MP3 thing (hate the fact I can't get free songs
everywhere anymore - should have bootlegged more when I had the chance).
3. Rechargable Batteries. Save those landfills of all that battery goop. Plus they're cheaper in the long run.
4. Staple Removers. Even the manual ones - they save your nails - or your teeth.
5. Pilot Pens. They're expensive as hell but I love them. Now I hate using felt tip or ball point. Though Cody's sister left me with some pens when we were home for the wedding (either that or I might have accidentally stolen them) and I love them - great fun colors and they write really well - they're Pentel gel pens - and they're metallic (aka fun).

Inventions I like to see:
1. Comfortable work/dress shoes. Something as comfy as running shoes that I can wear to work.
2. Cars that work. Well, I guess they do exist but I just don't have one.
3. A Wal-Mart that doesn't suck. I swear Wal-Mart used to be decent and okay - not anymore - that places sucks as much as anything in the world. Their customer service sucks. Their products suck. Their stores suck. But I'm trapped because where else can I get deoderant, paper towels, milk, oatmeal, batteries, cat litter (Target doesn't carry my brand), photo processing and my tires fixed? Not that Wal-Mart does any of those things well - but they are all there.
4. Bionic knees that work. My knee is still bum - still hurts and can now barely walk on it (going downhill faster and faster). Wish I could get a bionic knee so I could run again and never worry about hurting it.
5. Cell phones that don't hurt your neck. I think this is mostly a girl/multi-tasking thing. Every time Cody talks on the phone he holds it with his hand - but when he talks on the phone he can't do other things at the same time. Every time I am on the phone I am doing something else - hense it is often between my ear and my shoulder - huring my neck like hell. Yes, I know they have the ear piece things but I can never hear with them and I break/lose them easily.

Later!

p.s. Wow yesterday's blog made no sense, was completely random, and just odd.

2 comments:

maxolasersquad said...

Replace your dry-erase boards with http://docs.google.com/ I use this to track all of my important things. I have docs full of all of my memos. The cool thing is that:
1. You can share them with someone else (aka Cody) so anywhere there is an internet connection the two of you can check on the status and update them.
2. As mentioned, anywhere you have an internet connection you have your notes. If I'm at home and plan on going shopping after work I can make a grocery list online. Kim or I can update it while at work and before I leave work for the store I print out the list and grab everything before I leave.

You can also use an online calendar to help keep track of everything you have going on. I use http://calendar.google.com/ Again, you can share it with another user so they can update it for you. So if Kim calls the Doctor and gets me an appointment she can mark it on my calendar. Because my calendar is on my igoogle page which comes up every time I do a Google search, I see it every day and get reminded of my events. I can even have it setup to send me e-mail reminders. You can see mine at http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=maxolasersquad%40gmail.com

missy said...

WOW!!!! That is AWESOME!!! I am totally going to set that up! You rock!!!!