Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kids.

Yeah, so now we're married so we get the "kids" question a lot. Too bad we really don't have an answer yet. Hell, we don't even know what we're going to eat for dinner most nights (or most other things). But I've been thinking about a few things lately so as I work through them, I'll be posting them. I'm a "knowledge is power" person so whenever I debate anything I read about it, talk about it, think about it and generally get as much information as I can about it. So the kids thing scared the death out of me. The first step for me to getting over that is to get information on it. So that's the current quest - get myself less scared. So today, the two things that scare me about deciding when to have kids:
1. Having them too old. I don't want to be the "old parents." The ones the other parents can't relate to. The ones that don't have the energy to keep up with their kids. I don't want my kids to feel like "Wow! My parents were born in the 70s!!" when all their friends have parents born in the 80s, or worse yet, the 90s. I want to be able to talk to them and have them not look at me like I'm from a completely different planet. I want to be able to relate somewhat. I just don't want to be "too old."
2. Having them too young. Yes, in a way I still think we could have kids "too young" even though our days of being able to say that are running shorter and shorter. I don't want to look at my kids and think of all the things we didn't do because we have them, or think of all we're missing out. Yeah, you'll miss out on things no matter what age you have them at, but I want to be old enough to feel comfortable with that sacrifice. I think about where we would be if we had kids three years ago and all the cool stuff we would have missed out on. And it makes me sad we would have missed all that. And I don't want to rush into anything and then be sad that we're missing things.
Yeah, Catch 22 at its best.

3 comments:

Jon said...

I guess in a way I'm lucky my wife is younger than me. Maybe my kids will have at least one "young parent".
The way it's going, I'll be in my 30's before we start having kids.

missy said...

Yeah, you and Cody have birthdays less then a month apart so pretty much unless we start trying really soon he'll at least be over 30 by the time the little devils (opps, I mean "darlings")come. :) When did we get this old? Where did all the time go? :)

maxolasersquad said...

Some thoughts. First, kids are not for everyone. I would venture to say that the average parent probably should not be.
I think you and Cody would be great parents thought. As you've already said, there are draw back and benefits to whatever age you have them. If you have them early (like me) you get your life back before you are old, decrepit, and people generally think you are a boring nuisance (again, like me.)
If you have them late you get to keep part of your youth to yourself, but by the time you are gone you have the problem I listed above.
I became a father right before I turned 22. I can tell you I was so much more energetic and on it back then. I'm much more lasy, and sometimes I feel like too much of a boring conservative adult than I'd like to be. When I was 22, giving my girl a pink mohawk sounded like a great idea. It's definitely not something I'd do now.
I would say start now, but do whatever is right for you.