Thursday, November 30, 2006

We're still alive.

So as most of the world knows by now (with my big mouth), my stupid car doesn't work. The damn thing won't start. So today I spent my entire day calling auto shops, to finally decide to take it to the dealer, 15 miles away. But then I called my insurance (who by now hates me and will probably drop me) and found that my "emergency roadside assistance" will only pay to tow my car around 5 miles in the city because there are shops everywhere - too bad a lot of them are ghetto and you don't want to use them. Anyway, so then I search for a closer shop - only to find one but they're booked until Monday and have no where to store my car. So I have to chose whether to pay to have the car towed to the dealer (all but 5 miles which the insurance will cover - hopefully before they drop me) or sit over the weekend in the garage where it was just broken into - just what I need it to leave it there and get stuck with another $500 deductible when it's robbed again. Cody said I should just leave the windows down (then they can't break them) or put a note up that the car is unlocked (they can't steal it because it won't start) so they won't bust up everything.

Anyway, we decided to pay the extra and have it towed today. So I called to have it towed - only to then have work cancel before the truck got there. So I canceled the tow and got a ride home from work from a co-worker. Unfortunately this co-worker, who I will not name because this whole thing is not his/her fault, had rear-wheel drive and it was insanely icy outside, not to mention we have to go over a significant number of bridges to get home (for those southerners, bridges are bad in the winter because they ice really bad really quick). So, as we were pulling onto the interstate and go to accelerate the car starts spinning and spinning and spinning. The whole thing probably took about 30 seconds but it felt like minutes. Anyway we spin all the way from the right lane, across at least 4 lanes of traffic, into the far left lane of traffic, heading the opposite direction and plow into the bridge wall. Everyone is fine. We're all okay. No one is hurt. It was just scary. The worst part of it was spinning and then knowing we were going to run into the side of the bridge on my side. I swear I thought we were going to hit the bridge wall and go over the side of the bridge - and then we'd really be dead. But the bridge wall held up and we didn't go over the side - it was just a bit scary for a while.

So, now we're home for the duration. With any luck work will be cancelled tomorrow and I can do even more wedding planning - but that might be just a bit too optimistic. :) Tonight we might try to run out and get a tree once/if the traffic dies down and we can have a cozy night setting up our decorations. I love Christmas time, but man do I hate snow/ice/etc.

No comments: