Sunday, April 06, 2008

Baby Bash!


Saturday Cody and I threw our first baby shower! Actually it was an "anti baby shower" - our friends are way too cool for a "regular" baby shower. Plus we'll find any excuse to have a keg party. So, we gathered the troops, got a keg and food and had a good old fashioned party - with some baby stuff. I actually made two things I had never made before in my life - a turkey and a diaper cake.
First - the turkey. Back at Christmas when turkeys were on sale we bought one thinking there would be some reason at some point to make a turkey. Well this was the perfect occassion. So we got all excited, took the turkey out early enough to dethaw (this took about a half a millinium) and were ready to cook our turkey. Only one problem - Cody left to get the keg and left me with a raw turkey. While I am not a vegetarian, I'm just not a huge fan of meat. Most of what we eat is already cut up beef (though we rarely eat beef - mostly because I don't know how to buy or cook it) or chicken breasts. I don't really buy anything that needs any more man-handling then that. I thought I would be okay with the turkey - just take it out of the bag, put it in the pan and pop it in the oven, right? I was wrong. That was the grossest thing I had ever seen or touched. For some reason I'm okay with a cooked turkey but I got really freaked out by the dead/raw turkey. It was disgusting. I seriously thought I would throw up after looking at the raw bird and the cavern that is its insides - so super gross. But I managed to close my eyes, put the bird in the pan, put the pan in the oven and close the door - the rest was up to Cody. In the end it tasted very good and we made cute little turkey sandwiches, but I will never look at turkey the same again. I'm going to stick with a ham at holidays.
Second, my diaper cake. You always see those cakes made out of diapers and they always look so cute. So I thought I would try my crafty hand at making one for our friends because they are just that cool and worth it. I thought it would be a quick and simple process -I was wrong. But in the end, and with a lot of help from Google, I made a darn cool looking three layer cake out of diapers and burp clothes (or wash clothes - I can't remember and can't tell the difference). I was quite proud of myself.
So, all in all the party was awesome. The keg was floating by the end of the night - always a good sign -and the happy parents to be had a lot of cool loot. We're very happy for them both and can't wait to meet the little girl. :)


No comments: