Monday, April 21, 2008

Bonus Parent Fun!

As mentioned earlier, Cody's parents came to visit this weekend! It was awesome. It is always great to see them and even cooler when they come here because we get them to ourselves and they get us to themselves. They flew in Friday morning so we picked them up from the airport. Amazingly enough their flights were on-time - this is unheard of in STL. This is the first time they flew up here instead of driving so it was good that everything went smoothly. We hung out Friday mostly inside because it was really rainy and yucky and chilly. We went to Fitz's for dinner - it's a rootbeer factory/brewery. They have awesome rootbeer floats - even if you hate rootbeer they're good.
Saturday we hung around and then helped a friend move a washer (the joys of being the only one with gas prices these days with a bigger vehicle) into his new apartment (which looks just like a Hobbit House). Since the washer was in Illinois we had to make a stop by Fast Eddies for some cheap burgers and beers. Then since it was another crummy day weather wise, we just hung out with each other. That's a great thing about Cody's family - you don't have to "entertain" them - they honestly just want to hang out with us - and us with them- so there's no pressure to "entertain."
Sunday was an absolutely amazing day weather-wise. They had never been to the Missouri Botanical Gardens, which happens to be a mile from our house and which we happen to be members (i.e. we get in free), so we finally got to take them there. Everyone is always hesitant about going to a "garden" thinking it will be lame and stupid but it really is a really fabulous place and not just a bunch of flowers (though the tulips were unbelieveable - the one good thing about living in the north). We walked all around the garden and had a good time moving around and talking and hanging out. After the gardens we came home, got out the lawn furniture, set up the table and chairs and just sat outside on the sunny afternoon, talked and drank beer. It was about as perfect as a day could be. It was so nice to feel the sun on my winter parched skin, talk with people we love, and have a few beers. It was a really great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Then we went to eat at another restaraunt in the Loop and headed home.
They left this morning unfortunately. I also learned something about myself about leaving. I purposely scheduled a doctor's appointment this morning so I could avoid the airport because I am NOT a good good-bye person and I am an even worse good-bye person at an airport. So I told them good-bye at the house and let Cody take them. I was a bit upset in the car on the way to my appointment but did better then I normally do. So I was thinking that I may be doing "better" in this department. Until I came home to a totally empty house. Cody was at golf and they were gone. It was so sad. So I learned that it's not the actual good-bye part that I'm really bad at but the returning to something empty (when they drive away after having driven here I always break down in the house because it's so quiet after having guests and the same thing in the car after dropping people at the airport - the car seems so empty). So I learned that about me - for better or worse.
But we had a great, albeit short, visit with them. I could literally blog for hours on how much I think of them as people. They raised two amazing kids - confident, self-sufficient, but not bratting or snotty. Their children are kind, compassionate and super smart but not nieve or unrealistic. They went through a lot to get where they are and to get their kids where they are and they did a great job of it. They are awesome parents and even awesomer (is that a word?) Bonus Parents. One of the reasons they are so great to me is because they don't have to be. No one expects in-laws to be fabulous so the fact that they are makes it even that much better (just like my step family - they are so great even though they don't have to be). They are always down to earth and give the best advice ever. In all the years I've known them they have never told Cody or I what to do when we ask for an opinion on a decision - they just give you tools to make the decision for yourself. Sort of the old teach a man to fish story. Anyway, they are great and I love them to death and miss them already. Now we just have to find time to plan a trip down to see them (and the rest of the fam)!

No comments: