Monday, April 21, 2008

The cat is out of the bag.

So, I guess I can finally post this on my blog though I was going to have to wait another few weeks until I could "officially" notify everyone (even though I've alluded to it on here before). I got a new job! I actually found out back in February (right before I took the Illinois Bar - so in the end, it really didn't matter if I passed or not because I won't need Illinois in my new job) and absolutely cannot wait to start! I don't start until June 3rd because the other person I'm replacing doesn't leave until then.
I'm leaving the land of billable hours, clients, and constant bickering between clients, claimants, attorneys and judges for no billables and interesting work. I'm trading in strict policies and office politics for a fabulous small group of people. I'm trading in the law firm for a court house. Without being too terribly specific (because it is the government) I am going to work for a judge in one of the courts here. It's honestly my absolute dream job. I would give up almost anything (professionally) for this job. I won't be litigating and arguing all day but instead working with the judge on his cases, researching case law and writing papers for the judge. That's really what I love about the law - doing the research and writing. While I thought for a while I would like litigation - it's exciting and something is always going on - after doing it for over three years I'm really ready to move on - and away from litigation. So this job is perfect. I really can't say enough how perfect this is for me professionally and for Cody and I personally. No more crazy stress about clients or billable hours or competition - but now it's a team atmophere where we're all working towards a common, unified goal. I gain a lot in flexibility and leave the rigid office world. There are literally so many good things about this job that it would take forever to mention.
So, how did the cat get out of the bag? Beats me. Sort of. Like I said, I've known about it for a while and kept very very hush hush about the whole thing (for obvious reasons - I need my current job to pay me until I start the new one). Until last week when out of nowhere someone stopped me in the hall at work and said "So, Melissa, I heard you got a new job." I looked like a deer in headlights and my jaw dropped. I had no idea how she heard or what was going around. Turns out that STL is a much smaller world then I even imagined and one of our partners was somewhere and ran into someone at my new job and they talked and our partner learned of my new job. I wasn't going to give two weeks until May so this was obviously much earlier then I planned to tell everyone. So, instead of coming to talk to me and see what was up and what my plans were, this person just started telling everyone in the firm - without talking to me first. So I was more then a little annoyed that someone would start spreading personal information without at least giving me the courtesy of a heads up, but that's life in office politics and that is why I'm thrilled to be leaving. So, while it wasn't when or the way I wanted it to happen, everyone now knows at work so I can start telling everyone else.
I am soooooo...... happy!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Congrats to you on that! I'm glad one of us is having luck on getting a dream job.