Friday, April 25, 2008

Damn can they be annoying!

I love kids as much as the next guy, but damn can they be annoying! I work on the 10th floor of a large office building in downtown St. Louis. While we occassionally have to listen to jackhammers busting up the sidewalk for new streetlights or the saxaphone guy playing the same incessant tunes, or the beep of the underground garbage collection, the sounds are relatively tolerable and you get used to a certain amount of background noise. And then for some reason today an Allied moving truck has parked itself right outside my office building and is letting an entire busload of kids honk the horn. Over and over and over again. First, why is there a moving truck on my street? Makes me think first World Trade Center bombing. Second, why is there a busload of school children on my street? The Arch, obviously a popular school children destination, is still several blocks away and has plenty of parking closer then over where I am. There is nothing, unless you count Hooters or stories and stories of boring offices, that could possibly entertain children. No clue why they are even here. I rarely even see people in shorts or jeans in my daily life - suits, suits and then some regular "business casual" - that's about all that is downtown.
Anyway, back to this noise. It is not like a car horn. It is like a barge horn or a train horn. If a car or even large truck honks its horn on the street I can barely hear it and rarely would even notice it. THIS horn, however, sounds like a barge is coming or a train is about to barrel into the building. But it's not just one toot of the horn and the offending annoyance moves out of the way. It is this horribly loud, irritating noise over and over and over again. Why do kids find that amusing? Or funny? Or anything other then insanely annoying? I just don't get it!!

No comments: