Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Hanging with the flooring people.

PTO (paid time off - the replacement in corporate america for sick and vacation time) rocks - at least sometimes. While in an ideal world we would only use our PTO time for fabulous vacations to far away exotic lands, given the strength of the dollar, I'd like to meet one person who can afford such vacations to far away lands at this point. So I've got the next best thing going today. Nothing. That's right folks - today I am doing nothing (not really true but in the grand scheme of things it's nothign). While this morning I woke my happy butt up, got dressed, drove all the way to work only to realize I left my garage pass at home, drove back home and got said garage pass, went to work, turned on computer and prepared for morning court, I then got the call from the wood people that they would like to start the installation/refinishing today instead of Thursday. While this is fabulous in many ways (get it done sooner!!) it was certainly not in my "schedule" for the day.
So I finished morning court, went home to let them in and I am now babysitting the wood installation people. While I briefly considered leaving them to their own vices while I saundered back to work, they have twice now opened the basement door (no clue why) where I have the three cats stashed (we have a lock on the kitty door for times like this) and they have run out the front door (luckily it is "mild" outside because the front door has been open all day for ventilation - lots of dust from sanding) and I have had to run down the street finding them because they are scared to death of the noises in the house right now. So no leaving them unsupervised anymore. So I had to take a half day today - and I get paid for it. Thank you PTO time. Something is just fun about not being at work and being paid for it. :)
Well what am I doing with my time? Napping? Watching daytime TV (shoot me if this ever happens)? Painting my nails? Nope - because I am compulsive and absolutely have no clue how to relax and do nothing and get very angry if I am not "productive" in some sort with every day, I am rearranging the basement. Sounds fun, huh? I am going through every single box (we have 5 Atari's - anyone want one?) and throwing away crap/junk. I have a "keepsake" box from middle school, one from high school and one for "beyond." I am combinging them into one. One keepsake box is enough. I am throwing out all sorts of old crap, that while it is cute and has memories, has no physical place in my life - it is bascially taking up room in my overflowing basement. For instance, old playbills. Wow - memories. But what in God's green earth am I going to do with them? Nothing - except keep them in a box which I never go through unless I want to throw some stuff away. So I am keeping mostly pictures, notes (written by and to me), and writings (journals and notebooks of thoughts/drawings - yes, I suck at drawing but I used to do a lot of it) - and the rest is going in the garbage. So if you ever wanted to know a lot of juicy secrets about me and all sorts of embarassing tales, your best bet is to go through my garbage can tonight. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can not possibly "suck" at drawing. You are an "awarded" and "paid" artisan. You have a natural talent that has been neglected too long. I hope you did not ditch the shoe - the drawing of your shoe, that is.

Missy Raffy said...

I still have the drawing of the shoe. For those of you who do not know of the shoe, during 9th or 10th grade Latin class (you can tell I must have loved this class) I spent an entire period drawing my shoe in intricate detail. It's the only half-way decent thing I've ever drawn.