Thursday, May 10, 2007

Coffee.

Sometimes I'm jealous of people who drink coffee. They have this sort of secret connection that non-coffee drinkers don't get and don't get to be a part of. They have that one moment each morning when they take their first sip and are just thankful - while we're just plain running around the house getting ready. There are so many ways to bond "over coffee." And we miss out on that. Meeting someone to discuss a job or an opportunity? Meet "over coffee." Want to go out with the girls on Tuesday night? Go for coffee. Want to discuss politics, religion, your job, anything really? Go "for coffee." Want to meet a blind date? Meet "for coffee." Sunday morning relaxing? Ride your bike to the corner coffee shop, sit outside and read the newspaper. So many ways to enjoy life with coffee. It's just not the same with "let's go out for a water."

But alas, neither Cody nor myself can stand the stuff - no amount of sugar or cream can make us stomach it. For one, I don't drink any caffeine (who trusts a word that doesn't follow the "i before e except after c" rule?) and Cody's not big on it either. We have two beverage groups consumed in our house - water and alcohol. Seriously. That's ALL we drink. All day every day we drink water. Water water and more water. We probably each drink at least 4 liters of water a day - probably more. It's simple, free, good for you and no calories. (I have a huge thing against wasting calories on liquids - I put that aside for a good glass of Reisling.) No soda, no juice, nothing - just water - sometimes tea when we're sick. And then we drink alcohol - beer, wine, etc. - socially, not as a habit - don't go turning us into AA here. :) So I was thinking of all we might be missing out by not drinking coffee - sure we get happy hours, but other then that who wants to go out "for a glass of water." Plus happy hours aren't always appropriate for all situations - taking your grandma out on a Saturday afternoon, for instance. A while ago, I started going out with the coffee people and getting hot chocolate - it's an overpriced waste of 200 calories but at least I got that socialization in. But I still couldn't join in the coffee conversation. There's just something missing.

There's really no moral to this story or this thought process. I still hate coffee. Always have, probably always will - considering I last had caffeine 10 years ago, I don't see myself going back any time soon (it's a long story involving very large amounts of Mountain Dew - lots and lots of Mountain Dew). Cody still doesn't drink it. I was just thinking of how cool it must be to be a coffee person - we'd create a "water house" or "water bar" but I don't think it would do too well. So be grateful, coffee people, for those little things in life. :)

No comments: