Thursday, May 10, 2007

They weren't lying.

Marriage changes you. Before I got married, a lot of married people told me "Marriage changes you." I thought they were crazy and just getting old. After all, Cody and I had been together for eons, what could possibly change anything in our lives anymore? Moving in together didn't. People said that would be difficult and would take adjusting - but it didn't - it was wonderful - it was 100% easier then we even expected - it just flowed perfectly. People said buying our first house together would change us. I guess it did, we're now in a lot more debt. :) But other then that we just had more chores and responsibilities - we were still the same. Engagement didn't change us. One day I didn't have a ring, then I did - I was certainly happy, very very happy, that we were engaged but nothing core changed.
Then we got married. We're still the same "Missy and Cody" - we still do the same things, have the same friends, want the same things out of life - so nothing like that, but something core. Maybe it's just me being emotional, but life seems more intense - not in a bad way, in a very cool different way - like you were watching life on a fuzzy TV using rabbit ears and then got cable and the picture got very bright and clear. I've never cried at movies, or songs or any mushy stuff - it's not really my thing - but lately I've felt emotional over those things that you're supposed to (no, I haven't cried over a song, but I felt at least some emotion about a few). It's odd. Suddenly there is no argument or flaw worth actually arguing over. We have to live together FOREVER and we'd best work things out peacefully. We've really become a "family." I guess that's the best way to describe it (aside from my TV analogy) - we were two people living together in our own little make-shift family - but now we're a real life "family" - just the two of us. Sure we have all of our other family that's quite dear to us, but we've also created a whole new "family" unit. That's cool. Marriage has certainly changed us - for the better - things feel settled and nice. Now we can focus on what lies ahead of us and enjoying life now and we don't have to worry about marriage or dating or anything like that - we're done. And that's cool.

No comments: