Saturday, May 19, 2007

Welcome to the world Baby Girl!

Today was a good day. The world was blessed with another little girl and I became an aunt for the FIFTH time! The forth time for a niece! I couldn't be happier!
Little Arianna Eve was born this afternoon right before 5pm and was a bit under 6 lbs. Little bitty thing and a bit early (she wasn't technically due until June but the C-Section was planned for next Wednesday but the little thing just didn't want to wait that long) but I hear she's absolutely gorgeous and has blond hair already like her two adorable sisters. I cannot wait to see her!
The one absolutely worst thing about being so far from home is missing out on things like this. I would give so much to be able to go visit them all tomorrow. I really would - it kills me to miss this. It kills me to know she'll be over 6 months old by the time I see her! That's huge in baby time! HUGE! It kills me to miss first birthdays . . . and second ones and third ones and fourth ones and fifth ones (we haven't had any 6th ones yet). It kills me to miss holidays (we're going to miss our first Thanksgiving this year). It kills me to miss Sunday dinners - or even Tuesday dinners. It kills me to miss weddings and funerals and graduations and all that fun stuff.
But I guess that's the price you pay sometimes. In the end is it all worth it? Who knows. It would take a lot for me to give up the life Cody and I have made for ourselves - we love it - we have a good time - we have each other - it's priceless - we wouldn't trade it for the world 99% of the time. It's that 1% that's killer - the birth of a niece, for instance. Is it worth it? How can you measure?
Some advice on raising girls that I found particularly touching (I wish I could take credit for but it's from a book that I really like):
Realize that one of your most important jobs it to give her a sense of self . . . to help her define who she is, so no one else will.
Girls whose parents (and other friends and relatives) have high expectations for them also have high expectations for themselves. It just works out that way.
There will be times when she says life is unfair. Explain to her it was never a given that life is fair.
And finally - Caution her before she gives up her dreams for any job. Or any man.

No comments: