Thursday, January 04, 2007

I guess I'm no Martha Stewart

When people live together, its bound to happen that certain habits or mannerisms will rub off onto the other (mostly voluntarily, though some mandated). For instance, since living with Cody I have become a Gator fan, have learned to hang my towel back on the rack in the bathroom and have occassionally eaten potato chips (only Lime Tostidos with our great salsa - otherwise I still avoid them). Cody has picked up some habits as well, for instance eating a larger variety of food, mostly vegatables. He's taken to agreeing that all meals need to include some sort of vegatable, and not necessarily a meat (though he still loves his meat).

Anyway, so one of my New Years resolutions (which I've still yet to blog about) was to cook more and try new things. I'm not a cook (though my brother and Erica are great ones) but I'm trying. So I found this great reciepe in the Boeing Health Newsletter for Orzo with Spinach and Feta. Sounded great to me and I thought Cody could at least give it a shot.

Basically you cook the orzo, sautee some garlic with green onions, then add frozen spinach, then toss it all together with feta and lemon juice. I think it was delicious - it has so many great flavors that I love! Cody took one bite and said that it made his top five list of worst things he's ever eaten. :) He even went and ate a ton of the salsa we had just made just to get the taste out of his mouth. I guess you can teach a guy to love his veggies but there are definitely limits. I guess I shouldn't make the first reciepe out of my Rachel Ray cookbook (courtesy of Bo and Erica for Christmas) for Cody - it's an omlette reciepe and I still can't convince him to eat eggs.

In other news, I've now gone two days without sugar! No one can truely understand what an accomplishment this has been for me unless they are an equal sugar addict. I did already bust on one resolution - to only drink on the weekends - by having a beer yesterday - but it was only one and I ran three miles afterwards. :)

In actual news, more exciting at least, our niece Baylee, started her first day of preschool this week. I hear she had fun but then said she didn't want to go back. She is such a hoot! She's be one of those kids that knows every kid in class by the second week and all of them will be her best friend - she's so personable and outgoing - not to mention cute. :) Good luck to her and whatever adventure you may be embarking on as well (as long as it's not wedding planning, then you don't need luck - luck will be of no help - you need lots of lots of powerful drugs). :)

No comments: