Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm a home improvement godess!

It really hit me right before we left for Germany that we'd lived in our house for a year now and still haven't finished painting or unpacking and really hadn't gotten a start on all the projects I had such high hopes of accomplishing the first few months in the house. Life just got busy and there was always something else to do . . . . until this last weekend. Friday night I decided that come hell or high water, I was determined to get something done on the house. So we went out Friday night and started working bright and early Saturday morning on the dining room. Since we bought the house I knew I wanted to do something different with the dining room, but didn't really solidify any ideas for a while. Cody was actually the one who thought of the idea for the dining room paint decor and we actually bought the paint, I think, last Labor Day, and until now just hadn't gotten around to it. Anyway, Saturday we primed and painted the dining room. Add in Sunday in there and we primed the whole room, painted the top part a tanish colour and put three coats of burgundy/red on the bottom. There will be a white chair rail where the colours meet. Oh, and yes, I said THREE coats of red. The first coat was just awful and the second made the room look very Aztec or something - like a Mexican restraunt - but the third coat made a nice deep shade of burgundy which really adds a richness to the tan and white in the rest of the room. So after working so much on that project I was obsessed. After work I came home and painted all the baseboards and trim around the doorways white to match the chair rail (which we picked out but haven't purchased yet). The house is a zillion years old so not only does it have a ton of trim, but it's very thick trim. I'll have to post a before and after picture when I get the chair rail up. Anyway, in line with my general dorkiness, that has been what I've been up to - redoing our dining room so it looksl ike grown-ups live here instead of a bunch of lazy college kids (no offense to my college friends). Next up is to paint the entry way/hall way, then tile the back splash in the kitchen, redo the carpet/hardwoods, and then redo the downstairs bathroom. :) Sounds fun, huh? Oh, the joys of homeownership.

On another note, I was all excited this weekend because it was tax free weekend in MO (on "school" items), so I was going to go ahead and get a new laptop while there was no tax (for you Florida people, our tax here is over 8%). So we searched the ads to find one I liked, that was cheap enough but still nice enough. We knew we wanted at least 1024 MB of memory, a fast processor and as much hard drive space as I could get (with all my pictures and music). We finally found one we liked at Circuit City on sale, but before running out to buy it we decided to check online at Dell first. Turns out with Cody's Dell discount (another Boeing bonus), it would actually be cheaper for us (including shipping and tax) to buy one on Dell. So it looks like we're going to finally get me a new laptop, just have to pick it out and order it now! :) Yipee! No more ghetto broken hinge!!!

No comments: