Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm the luckiest person alive. Really.

Not often do I say that - especially lately when dealing with wedding planning and other random crap. But this weekend really made me feel this way. Reasons why I'm the luckiest person alive:
1) Friends. Since we'd already been planning to go to Wisconsin on Friday and my friend Marissa had already planned to go to Chicago (she was going to ride the bus), we were able to talk her into riding with us and we just dropped her off in Chicago. Not that I don't love all my road trips with Cody, but it was nice to have a friend along for fun and girl talk. She's quite a cool person.
2) In-Laws. Most people hate their in-laws. You always here stories about this and that and you think that everyone is subject to this doom. Well, not me! I have the bestest in-laws in the entire universe - and not just Cody's parents (though they are A+ wonderful) - his entire family. First, his Aunt Jackie planned me a wonderful bridal shower this weekend in Wisconsin so we could go up and hang out with everyone and have a fun shower too! She is fantastic! Then when we got to Jackie's we walked inside, put our stuff done and went downstairs to find Cody's mom!!! She flew all the way from Florida, up to Wisconsin, in the dead of winter, to surprise us for the shower!!! That was quite possibly one of the coolest things anyone has ever done for us! We were beyond shocked and happy! She made the whole weekend that much more perfect. Not to mention that she hadn't visited Wisconsin in the winter in 17 years (for good reason, see below)! So we had a great weekend hanging out with Aunt Jackie, Uncle Fred and Cody's mom. The shower was Saturday and went wonderful - even with a blizzard forecasted we had a great turnout and it was so nice to see everyone! Saturday evening Cody's mom talked Aunt Jackie into sledding - it was hillarious and I have some GREAT pictures of them! I'll have to post them later. :) It was great to have such wonderful people around and know that in less then 6 weeks I'll be a part of that family (though they totally already treat me like family). I am so so so so so lucky!
3) Last but not least, I'm lucky that I don't live in Wisconsin. While I love visiting everyone up there and I think they are all great people, I COULD NOT live in that state for one reason: winter. I thought winter was bad here - we don't have it half as bad as they do. I think while we were there they got more snow then St. Louis does in an entire year! Saturday night we were all convinced we wouldn't be able to travel back on Sunday and that Cody's mom's flight would be cancelled because a major blizzard was forecast. Luckily it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be and we all made it home safely (though it took us much longer because of icy roads and insane wind conditions). I have never seen that much snow in all my life! Piles and piles and piles of it everywhere. There was a huge pile driving onto Aunt Jackie's street that I swear was 10 feet high. Thank goodness I don't live there! Now I really know why Cody's family moved to Florida! And his poor mom - the one weekend she visits Wisconsin in the winter in 17 years they have a crazy snow storm!! Makes you really appreciate not living there! :)
So, today I feel thankful . . . and lucky!
p.s. I was doing fantastic on my "I better fit in my dress on Tuesday" diet and had even lost 3 pounds - until we went to Wisconsin. Aunt Jackie made these two desserts - a fruit pizza and a chocolate eclair cake - both were like crack. I could not stop eating them - they were seriously so delicious I can't even describe. So I really really hope I can fit in this dress tomorrow -then back on the diet!

No comments: