Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mardi Gras Fun - Wedding Dress Not Fun

Saturday was a mixed bag. The day started sort of crummy but ended up great. I called the bridal shop where I ordered my dress to make sure it would be in by Tuesday (like they had said after telling me it would be late - again). Turns out it was already in and they just hadn't bothered to call me. Can you tell I'm already annoyed with them? Anyway, I was so excited (and nervous) that I really wanted to try it on ASAP. So we got everything ready for Mardi Gras and made a quick pit stop at the shop. Cody waited in the car while I went in and tried on the dress. I had these huge fears that it wouldn't fit - well, they came true - but in the opposite way I thought they would. You see, when I tried on the dress in the store, I fit into a particular size but when they measured me my hip measurement (I still have a huge butt) put me into the next size up. My hips! It's a dress - who cares about your hips - it doesn't hug my hips!!! Anyway, I trusted them and ordered the next size against my better judgement. The dress is HUGE! Seriously, I can turn it all the way around on my body. They are going to have to take up over an inch the entire way down the dress. Plus, I was told it was a sheath (which I wanted) and that all the extra fabric on the one in the store was just because it was a bigger size and that it would be a sheath when it was ordered in my size. Oh no, it's a A-line, so now I'm also going to have to pay them to take out a ton of fabric on the sides to make it a bit more sheath-like. Needless to say, I was NOT happy. You dream of trying on your dress and it fitting like a glove - I could seriously wear my winter coat under this dress it's so big. I'm debating just asking them to order the next size down and have it rushed or just have this one altered - it's going to take a lot to alter it because there is so much detail and beading. Of course the ladies at the store were trying to convince me it wasn't THAT bad - until another lady came in and said "I hope that's not yours because it's HUGE." They pretty much shut up then. Oh well, I go back in on Tuesday to try to get things fixed.
Thankfully after that the day got exponentially better. :) We headed down to Mardi Gras when it was 23 degrees outside - we each had four shirts, a sweatshirt, our coats, two pairs of gloves, three socks, and three pairs of pants. We thought we were prepared - but we still got pretty chilly by the end of the day. We had a great time hanging out with everyone and then watching They Might Be Giants play - it would have been a lot better had it not been an outdoor stage. Who thinks to schedule an outdoor concert in FEBRUARY in MISSOURI???? That's just poor planning. But it was fun and a great time was had by all (assuming no one lost any toes or fingers to frostbite). :)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I know how you feel about the wedding dress. I ordered mine in July and it arrived MORE than seven months later. But I had to call them to find out it was there. I was lucky that the size they ordered was just about perfect, though. Good luck with your dress! Obviously I don't know the whole situation, but I would go ahead and order the smaller size if it really bothers you.