Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I wonder.

I seriously wonder how two people could possibly possess as many clothes as Cody and I do. And how in the world can we wear so many of them in so little time? I did 10 loads of laundry tonight and I'm still not totally caught up - I still have a load of sheets, a load of towels, one more load of darks and a load of socks and underware left to do! How do we possibly do it? I don't know what we're going to do when we have kids and we have their clothes too - I'll have to quit work to stay at home just to keep up with the laundry! :)
To be fair, this isn't the first time this whole massive amounts of clothes thing has been pointed out to me. When Cody's parents helped us move in, they commented repeatedly (beginning with load three of my clothes) about our massive mounds of clothes. I blame it on the massive amounts of clothes that we can still wear from 10 years ago. Cody seriously still wears (as undershirts) t-shirts from soccer tournaments he played in high school - so if you count all the clothes he had then (that he can and still does wear) and then add the ones he adds every year with no purging, that adds up to a lot of clothes. I blame mine on a similar culprit - I still wear many of my shirts from high school - but I also had a Goodwill and yard sale fetish in high school where I picked up massive amounts of random clothes for 25 cents. I figure I keep them around (1) in case they ever come back in style (some really have), (2) I ever have a costume party I need something for, (3) I need something disposable to wear cleaning something or working in the yard, or (4) I just decide one day I want to wear them again.
Too bad all that makes for an awful large amount of laundry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a timely post! In preparation for our upcoming move, just yesterday I attempted to impose some order on the piles, literally, of clothes in my bedroom. My closet, my dresser, and even a couple of those cardboard storage-drawer thingies are overflowing already. I still have to figure out something to do with the humongous piles of clothes that have gathered in the bedroom chair and the cradle (still in our room, since we currently have no better place to put it). I took two large bags of clothes to the Salvation Army yesterday, and it didn't make a dent. In my case, I have lots of ten-year-old clothes (in case I may "need" them again), mixed with random "vintage" items certain relatives (mom and aunt) either picked up at Goodwill or purged from their own closets (and since they don't really want to "get rid" of their old stuff either, they give it to me so it doesn't actually escape the family circle). On top of all the random things I've kept just because I may not be able to find one again, yesterday, for the first time, I found myself keeping things just because they may make interesting dress-up clothes for Elizabeth at some point. You do have a point about staying home just to do laundry--it seems like that's all I ever do around here, and I'm never really caught up! (There's your encouragement for the day!) Sorry for the long comment . . .

Jon said...

I actually just ditched three garbage bags of just my clothes. Man, Goodwill was happy to see me.