Thursday, February 15, 2007

Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day.

Oh yeah, peaches and sunshine - Happy Valentine's Day. I have a love/hate relationship with the holiday. Love the candy, hate the calories. Love the sentiment, hate the overly sentimental. Love the happiness, hate the cheesiness. Love the concept, often hate its reality. Love the togetherness, hate the pressure of a Hallmark day. Yeah, I'm one of those "it's a Hallmark holiday" people. Not to say I didn't send those I cared about a Valentine - I think it's a great time to let those you care about know you care and I 100% support that. I can express my caring in a heartfelt note or card - but not in $100 worth of flowers, $50 worth of chocolate and $30 worth of balloons. So Cody and I have our own way of doing Valentine's. Ususally we just make dinner together, spend a carefree evening together and write nice cards. This year, he had school until 8pm and I had to work out and then run errands so we decided to something really special - order a pizza. Since I've moved to St. Louis we have ordered a pizza out exactly once. So we decided to go all luxury tonight and order Pizza Hut - the king of pizzas. So we ordered us one of the new "cheesy bite" pizzas. I picked it up (we will spring for pizza, not for delivery - plus we don't have a home phone) while he was coming home from school - and was so excited. Half pepporoni for him and half tomatoes, light on the cheese for me. Then I got it home - we were starving - it was 8:15 and neither of us had eaten since lunch and I had worked out hard. WRONG PIZZA! It was some sort of hamburger meat (not even sausage - at least sausage tastes good - this stuff is gross) and random other stuff. So, needless to say, we had to go back and get them to make us another one - while we resisted chewing our arms off. So we had our nice pizza, our nice evening and even exchanged presents. The cats and I got him some DVDs and he got me the 8 lb. hand weights I'd really been wanting (doing lots of arm exercises for upcoming strapless dress and I only have 3, 5 and 10 lb. weights - I needed something between the 5 and 10). All in all, a great Valentine's together. No rushed dinner, no crowded restaraunts, no dressing up - I was still in my smelly workout clothes, just us in our house with our kitties.

No comments: