Monday, February 12, 2007

Running Strong?

I sort of quit most of my long distance running back in October or November. My shin splints/stress fractures were absolutely killing me (it seriously feels like there is a splintered bone in your shin) and it was getting colder and I'm not about to run 17 miles on a treadmill. So since then I've been pretty religiously (the wedding is a great motivator - gotta fit in that damn dress or else) doing the eliptical machine (I love those things), the bike (not my favorite thing but we have one at home), and smaller distances on the treadmill (less then 6 miles). I think the last time I ran outside in St. Louis was November (I ran outside in Florida over the holidays).

So today I ran 35 minutes which equated to 3.76 treadmill miles (I don't believe treadmill miles are equal to real miles) and really enjoyed it. It's really the first time in a while that I really enjoyed running again - I was running because it was fun, not just because I "had" to. So that got me thinking about another 1/2 marathon (and a marathon but that will have to wait). The STL one is April 15th - the week after the wedding. We were orgininally going to go on our honeymoon right after the wedding, but to make the most of the weekends (and not to take two weeks off work in a row for two years in a row - this doesn't exactly look great) we are going to wait to go on the honeymoon until probably April 25th. So that opened up the 1/2 marathon possibility again. So tonight I put together my newest "Half Mararthon Map" - hopefully I can do it but I'm not putting too much into in because that's a lot of running (read: time) when I really have little to none. It includes running 11 miles the week of the wedding and 10 miles the week before - that should be fun - right when things are nutty I have to find time to run that many miles.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. :)

No comments: